Dear Friends of City Mission,
Following many months of intensive prayer, seeking counsel from other Not-for-Profit ministries (including numerous vocational experts) and an exhaustive review of every opportunity-to-continue, the Board of City Mission is unanimous in its decision that City Mission will be closed as a unique Ministry. The official date of formal closure is scheduled as May 31, 2013.
The core neighborhood ministry programs of Tutoring & Mentoring and Seasonal Food/Gift Baskets that have been foundational to City Mission's Outreach will be maintained and grown as they are absorbed by Pastor Semmeal Thomas' thriving congregation. City Covenant Church, the church-next-door led by Pastor Semmeal, is a 'church plant' that was brought into being through the spiritual discernment of City Mission Leaders some years ago. City Mission recognized that a healthy, evangelical, serving community church brings the deep presence and leadership to the families of Brightmoor. It is clear to the Board that City Covenant Church has been prepared by God to seamlessly continue leading in these core programs.
What can we do as individuals, as supporting churches, as community leaders and as concerned organizations? The answer is simple: Pray Believing and Continue to Serve by Giving of your Time, your Talent and your Treasure.
- for Nicole Aikens, the City Mission co-Founder and Leader, as she leads City Mission to 'finish well' as a formal organization. Pray that God's next-steps for Nicole are clear and visibly blessed as this ministry that she has poured herself into across two decades continues in a different direction. This honors God.
- for City Covenant Church as it absorbs these expanded ministries into its congregation of loving, caring, life-giving breath to the Brightmoor community. And pray specifically for Pastor Semmeal's leadership and his discernment (and pray that his knees do not wear out from his intensive times of personal and church-wide prayer!). This honors God.
- that as this unique Ministry closes, God is honored by the considered response on the part of all supporters of City Mission; that the words, the actions and the heart of each of us is resolute in loving one another as Christ has commanded. It is through this visible love for one another that God will be honored and we will see that spiritual 'night' is crushed.
- If you are Tutoring and Mentoring, continue to Tutor and Mentor. This honors God.
- If you are part of the Garden Ministry, continue to till, to sow and to water. This honors God.
- If you are part of the Building and Grounds Maintenance ministry, continue to clean, to bag, and to provide 'sweat equity' for the Kingdom. This honors God.
- If you are part of the Basket/Gift prep-'n-deliver Ministry at Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, continue to give financially to these projects, continue to show up on those one-off days with a ready smile, a desire to serve, an invitation to friends-to-serve and a heart for those who are hurting. This honors God.
- If you have given financially, given cheerfully, to City Mission in the past, please give generously now! The costs to transition City Mission to closure, to transition core programs to City Covenant Church, are numerous. The need is great. Monies are needed now. Your financial gifts are vital to this transition; to completing This Work with dignity, honor and grace. "Let us do all things decently and in order". Now is the time to give! Know that every financial gift will be targeted toward a God-honoring transition; know that every financial gift will be used with the clear intention of continuing the core neighborhood programs through City Covenant Church.
If you have ever served through your time, your talent and/or your financial support, I am certain that you have been touched by the impact of City Mission in Brightmoor. Lives have been changed spiritually and physically. Children have been given hope and direction. Mothers have learned how to be the mothers that God has called them to be. Fathers have been led to job opportunities and taught their vital role in a healthy family. The community as a whole has seen Christ reflected in the 24/7 life and actions of Nicole, her staff and thousands of volunteers.
City Mission is a Work of God to be celebrated for Him. Christ has used imperfect people to bring His light to the local community. The season for The Work of City Mission has passed, His Work continues through the feet and hands of Pastor Semmeal and those of us who will continue to support This Work. Breaking the bonds of generation poverty, a spiritual and physical poverty, is The Work of The Church.
Through Christ, we His people are 'up to it'!
Join us, the Board, Pastor Semmeal and City Covenant as His Work continues.
Join us by praying NOW. Join us by giving to City Mission NOW.
Through Christ and for Christ,
City Mission Board
Pastor City Covenant Church
Nicole Hayward Aikens
Founder City Mission